Thursday, May 1, 2014

I'm doing the AIDS Lifecycle!!!

In just shy of one month I will be embarking on a very exciting journey.  My sister Suzanne, her partner Christie, and I will begin riding our bicycles (along with about 2500 other riders) from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

The AIDS Lifecycle is a 545-mile supported ride beginning June 1.  We'll start at San Francisco's Cow Palace, and travel down the summer coast of California and the cilantro-scented fields of the Central Valley --  and over many, many, MANY hills......to arrive in Los Angeles on June 7.

This ride is a massive undertaking and is an opportunity for every rider to test their limits, increase their fitness, and raise money to support the SF AIDS Foundation and the LA LGBT Center -- two organizations leading the charge in the global AIDS epidemic.

Did you know that over  1.1 million people in the US are HIV positive?  Globally over 33 million people are struggling with this virus, and there is currently no known cure.  But there are organizations which offer support, resources, jobs, and medicine, and the AIDS lifecycle supports two of the best right here in California.

This will be my second time riding in the event, as I did it back in 2001 with my dear friend Tonia Lach.   We did all our training on our own and showed up on Day 1 having never met anyone else on the ride!!  But this time, my team mates live in Eugene, OR,  so I've been mostly riding in the awesome official ALC training rides and have also done dozens of rides with friends and solo.

In this time I've seen my fitness level increase from practically bonking out on my very first ALC training ride (with two ride leaders following me all the way up to the Golden Gate bridge through Sausalito -- a notorious ascent at the top of which I nearly chucked it), to riding 60-miles solo over two other notorious ascents in the East Bay:  the 3 Bears and Grizzly Peak, and feeling super strong at the end. 

One of the most remarkable things for me this time around with this ride is, at least so far anyway, I've had very minimal pain in my knees.  This is remarkable primarily because I've had two major knee injuries (a broken tibia at the knee back in 1996, and a torn ACL on the other knee a few years later.  The ACL has never been surgically repaired).

When I did the ride in 2001, I definitely struggled with knee pain.  It's a bit of a paradox, because riding can be very good for strengthening the quadraceps and the hamstrings and certainly the calf muscles as well.  But it also puts a lot of strain on the knee joint if you're not careful.

This time around I'm managing my knee and over-all fitness with a combination of things:  high-quality vitamins, yoga, and the styrofoam roller.

The vitamins I take are the very same vitamins taken by Olympic athletes the world over, and I can tell you they are definitely making a difference.  When I started training in September, I was having some serious pain after riding -- the next day or even later that night.  I would experience excruciating pain when getting up from sitting, and would have to walk a bit before it would start to subside.

Since starting the supplement routine, I've noticed that doesn't really happen at all.

This is what I am taking:  Procosa, a wonderful joint formula; ProflavonolC, a mega-antioxidant and natural anti-inflammatory, L-glutamine for muscle recovery, and a high-powered multi-vitamin in addition to a fish oil supplement, and calcium.

If you're a weekend warrior, a professional athlete, or just someone who struggles with joint pain, you may find these vitamins support you as well!  You can check them out at my website here:  www.jennyjup.usana.com.

The foam roller is also crucial.  I use it to keep my back open after all the leaning forward, and also to roll out my quads, hamstrings, and the calf muscles as well.  It really helps to keep the muscles more supple after working them so hard!

In addition, I am doing yoga daily, drinking a lot of water, cutting back on all dairy products, and increasing my commitment to sleep.

These things have all been making a huge difference and I'm thrilled to be almost ready!! 

I am asking 100 people to support my ride with $20 minimum donations so that I can finish my fundraising within the next week.   Currently I'm about 42% of the way there!!! 

We're offering raffle tickets for every $20 donated and the raffle prizes include a case of Oakshire beer, some very special wine, artwork, bodywork treatments, and more.

Will you be one of my 100?  You can make your donations here.

Thank you so much and stay strong!  If you're of sound body and mind, it's your choice to do so......

No comments:

Post a Comment