Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Family Spa Day

This year marks my 18th year as a therapeutic massage therapist, and throughout this time I have had the distinct honor and pleasure of working with thousands of clients in many different environments:  spas, corporate board rooms, in-home, and in private offices.

Certainly one of the best things about my work is the feedback I often get that I "make people feel better".  Hearing that is a wonderful bonus but what my clients may not realize is that, quite often, the energetic exchange is mutual.  In other words, when I have a client who is very receptive to my work, takes it in, and allows it to change her somehow, there is something similar happening for me within my own internal world.

While I am helping another person to unwind their tension, the tension within my own system begins to unwind as well!  It is a delightful part of the work that only other therapists can really understand.

There has never been a better example of this mutually healing dynamic than I have with a mother-daughter team who have been bringing me into their home now for over a year on a monthly basis for what has become known as, "Family Spa Day".

On Saturday, I showed up at their house and everything was set up just the way we like it:  a couple of extra blankets on the couch in case it gets chilly, two cups of water set out with a candle lit, and a great station playing on internet radio.

The mom was first to receive yesterday, and it was so much fun to work with her as she had a terrible break in her wrist last winter, and it is healing so well!!!  I am very proud of her progress.  There is really nothing more satisfying to me as a massage therapist than for someone with a severe injury to trust me enough to work with it.   It is the greatest privilege of all!!!  She went into a deep, quiet place throughout our two-hour massage.

Working with her daughter has always been very special, and our session yesterday was no exception.  She is one of the rare people who see colors and auras, and during our sessions she often has multi-dimensional information showing up.  Something about her deep receptivity always seems to allow for me to witness or transform something within my own physical/energetic dimensions.

I feel like I grow as a person just spending time with these two ladies, and after our sessions yesterday, they booked Family Spa Day for the next 4 months!!!  I left their house feeling so blessed and full and rich and beyond grateful.

The truth is I burst into tears as I drove away.  It is just so rewarding when you see your skills, experience, training, and heart-work met with so much enthusiasm and gratitude, and to be compensated well and to be asked back again and again.

I cried out of gratitude, out of sheer heart-opening and love for these two women, and for the beauty of the path I have walked now for 18 years, the path of providing therapeutic touch to human beings, and some non-human animals as well including horses, dogs, cats, (and one very lucky coyote -- a story for another time).

Happy Valentine's Day all!  May you receive the best massage of your lives.....



No comments:

Post a Comment