Thursday, December 5, 2013

Parkinson's and therapeutic touch

Today I am seeing a woman for the second time at my new office in El Cerrito.  (Ojas yoga Studio, 707 El Cerrito Plaza -- above Trader Joe's).    I was one of the first people in her life that she told: she had just been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

I've worked with one other person with Parkinson's before.  That person had pretty advanced tremors at the time that we started our session.  But when we finished the session, the tremors had completely calmed down.

The effect of therapeutic touch on the nervous system cannot be emphasized enough.

The truth is, a lot of muscular tension is related to anxiety, stress, and emotional holding patterns.  These issues can often times be better served by addressing the nervous system, not the muscles.....

However, I am finding more and more that with Parkinson's, deeper work can help to awaken the connection between the limbs and the brain, healing at last temporarily one of the conditions of this complicated condition.

During my first session with the client I will be seeing later today, she had only very slight tremors to begin with, but they did seem to calm down during our session as well.   I hope to see that they have not gotten any worse!

Based on my research at www.sanoviv.com, I will be recommending that she make sure she is taking plenty of B12, which helps maintain a good and healthy nervous system, I will make sure she is taking digestive enzymes or a good probiotic, to strengthen digestion, and finally, I am going to recommend that she take as many antioxidants as possible, as they are proven to fight free radicals and keep cells healthy longer.

Do you or any one you know have Parkinson's?  I would be interested to hear their story and whether they have found therapeutic touch to be a beneficial part of their treatment program.

Motor function -- you forget that it's there until the moment it's gone.........



No comments:

Post a Comment